Principles of Low Fat Diet
What are the different types of fat?
Unsaturated fat (good fat)
Unsaturated fat (good fat): These include monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fatty acids
- An appropriate amount of consumption can lower bad cholesterol, increase good cholesterol, and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Food sources: vegetable oils (e.g. olive oil, avocado oil, canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil); nuts (e.g. walnuts, cashews); and deep-sea fish.
- Increases bad cholesterol, which increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Food sources: marbled beef, brisket, pork belly, full cream milk, butter, cream, coconut oil, palm oil, etc.
- Reduces good cholesterol and increases bad cholesterol, which can easily lead to cardiovascular diseases.
- Food sources: pizzas, fried foods, pineapple buns, fried bread sticks, cookies, egg tarts, ice cream, chocolate, etc.
- High trans-fat intake will increase the risk of coronary heart disease by 21%
Recommended fat intake
- Energy from fat should contribute less than 30% of total daily energy intake.
- Energy from saturated fat should contribute no more than 10% of total daily energy intake.
- Avoid trans-fat.
- For a 2,000-kcal diet, less than 65 grams of fat and less than 22 grams of saturated fats should be consumed per day.
Tips for a low-fat diet
- Adhere to the principle of loving unsaturated fats, limiting saturated fats, and eliminating trans fats.
- Choose lean meat or fish instead of fatty meat.Eat fish at least 2 times a week (not can
- ned versions).
- Replace full cream milk with low-fat or skimmed milk.
- When cooking, use methods such as steaming, baking, boiling, or as a salad; and avoid frying, deep-frying, stir-frying, braising and other cooking methods.
- Avoid sauces at meals.
- Separate oil before having soup.
- Plant-based meat is generally lower in fat content than real meat. Yet, it is important to pay attention to whether its sodium and saturated fat content would affect health.
- Read nutrition labels and choose packaged foods with lower fat content.